Thursday, March 5, 2009

inspiration: sculpture

Chewing Gum Sculptures
Fashioning sculptures out of everyday objects has been a fascination of mine, despite the fact that I have never successfully created one (not that I've tried all that hard at it).

Book Autopsies
When it comes to creating sculpture, though, I would much prefer to work with books over chewing gum. I also like the idea of subtraction or "taking away" as a form of creation as opposed to the more typical conglomeration of elements to make a whole.

1 comment:

  1. Damn, those chewing gum sculptures are really something. I applaud the artist's efforts, but frankly I don't think I could ever work with the stuff myself - talk about sticky hands! (Also, I'd probably eat all the gum before I used it anyway. :)

    I love the book autopsies! Working in the negative like that is a cool idea, and old books so often have odd or interesting contents that remain hidden because nobody opens them. The idea of cutting away the excess to reveal the hidden works really well, I think.

    ReplyDelete