Wednesday, March 11, 2009

inspiration: figurines

I’ve been collecting little figurines ever since my grandmother started giving me the little glass animals that came with her red rose teas when I was a young child. For some reason, these little trinkets have captured my affections up through the present and I now have a whole shelf full of them and more scattered throughout my home. For as much as I love collecting them, I love to give them away, too. Ever see those little buddhas in some eastern shops? I get such pleasure at their fat round bellies poking out from the drapery. Just today I purchased a little buddha who looks like he is on a journey for a little care package I’m putting together for some friends who are moving. The shopkeeper at our Nepal store said he was a symbol of good luck; I’ve been rubbing his little belly (and having others rub his belly) all day...

So back to the broader subject at hand, I wonder what place these figurines have in art? I have tried incorporating them into assemblage art, but with little success (I have never made an assemblage art piece I’ve ever been happy with, though). I have tried creating little figurines of people and animated creatures on my own, but they seem to lack the context needed to qualify as art (in my opinion). But surely they have a place! Is it just me that finds these things so distractingly attractive? And now, some pictures...

No comments:

Post a Comment