Friday, May 15, 2009

process: theme

Rick and I have been plotting madly at a prospective art/writing exhibit at the Silverbow (or elsewhere) for this fall. We are thinking comic strips (that could also stand alone as art segments) about a person (or a couple) going about their daily (maybe yearly) business in Juneau Alaska. And we would like to turn it into a small book also. Maybe the best could be made into playing cards?

I have been fascinated lately with miniature frames (probably due to the fact that I have been trying to fit my most precious belongings into the small space of 6 flat rate boxes), and I love the idea of fitting the comic art sections into eclectic frames I find around town. Now I have a great excuse to find and buy more! As many already know, my work tends to be small anyway, and I have been more interested in drawing than painting recently. I have even been thinking about doing a comic series for the day habilitation art class I teach and Rick has been thinking about creating a web comic for a long time now. The ideas are all fitting nicely, if a bit scattered at times!

Making the theme something that applies to Juneau life and something a little less emotional than my October “Evensong” exhibit will likely appeal to a larger audience and will be a relieving break for me. As I will likely post later this weekend, most of my artistic endeavors of late have been creating collages involving more personal photographs (the last 2 years or so), an emotional process for me to be sure.

Stay tuned as the evolution of the exhibit progresses. More thoughts and details soon to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment